Friday, November 27, 2009

Things I miss about "The Friend"



My family and I left Astoria about 5 months ago.  How much has changed...but really how much is the same?  I am still working (AKA struggling) to create a consistent relationship with Christ.  I am still missing my husband each and everytime he gets underway.  I am still super excited about home schooling...but maybe even more(:  Most of all though I miss my friend...that is the most consistent factor here.

Everytime I go to Starbucks I miss ordering her tall mochas with a ristretto shot(:  I miss our walks downtown to see my favorite birds, her least favorite...seagulls.  I miss visiting her and glancing at our socks to see if we are wearing the same ones.  I miss finding a fabric or a pattern and not having her by myside to dream about future creations.  Today I received an order from Amazon and was so excited until I realized that we could not get together over tea to browse through the pages together.  One time I waited for weeks for an order from Japan to arrive then I waited all day long (in agony) to open the box so we could browse through the contents together.

I miss her encouraging words when I was "in the depths of despair".  She never told me that I was lucky for this, or lucky for that, but it was like she understood my struggles and shared them with me.  She addresses me in emails, not by my name, but as Friend.  What a cherished word that has become to me.

I still miss her, as I will each and everyday of my life that we are separated...but I think I am understanding friendship a little more.  God has blessed me with another friend here.  No friendships are the same and I am starting to enjoy the variety.  I am so thankful for my friend who happens to also be my sister, my friend who is coincidentally my mom, my friend from high school, my friend from Astoria and for my friend from Texas.

Oh and one more thing...about the picture...the line is pointing to the seagull that is flapping it's wings and kind of looking like it is stumbling in the water behind the elegant stable one(:

No comments:

Post a Comment