Sunday, January 31, 2010

Red-winged Black Birds

My favorite bird of all time is a seagull, but before the seagull was my favorite the red-winged black bird was my favorite.  They are these beautiful birds that are so prevalent in Indiana...well at least where I lived in Indiana.

It is so cold here, so cold that we cannot even take our little ones outside.  So, this weekend we decided to take a trip to IKEA.  I needed a bookshelf for Ike's home schooling stuff and I am always eager to check out the fabric selection.  We always hit the clearance section too, just for fun.  Well, this time I found a door, just a cupboard door and suddenly I was hit with a bit of inspiration.  So, after talking with Dan about it...getting him a little inspired...the following is what we came up with...


I wanted to use my favorite fabric of all time, which was of course covered in seagulls...but it was too light-weight and would have required interfacing, which I did not have on hand!  So, if you will notice on the lower right hand corner, there are two red-winged black birds!  Dan put magnetic strips above and below...there are extra sewing feet and bobbins in the top canisters and then I use the bottom for scissors and other misc things.  Pretty cool, huh?  Life is not so bad....

 

Here is another view of it...along with a glimpse of my sewing machine/friend.  Below are some notebooks my mom and I made while she was here...for her friends back home.  While she was here we hemmed one skirt, finished one dress, sewed three bags, cut out 15 bags, made one diaper changing pad, several little makeup bags, covered 6 journals, made a messenger bag for Ike's Bible, and completed 7 pairs of pajama pants.  We were busy(:  And we were both sick.  I am still sick...


No comments:

Post a Comment