Sunday, February 7, 2010

Tonight I Can Write The Saddest Lines...

Well, not really...but that is the start to one of my favorite poems by Pablo Neruda.  The first part of the poem starts as follows:
Tonight I can write the saddest lines

Write, for example, the night is shattered
and the blue stars shiver in the distance.

The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.

I memorized it completely one night that I was broken up with...I thought I knew pain then(:

Today I cried in church.  My entire life I have cried in church, just been overwhelmed by emotions, but always tried to stop it.  Today I cried unchecked.  I did nothing to stop the abundance of tears that were streaming down my face.  I walked into church late as they were singing the last lines of "Lead Me to the Cross".  I fumbled with a stranger to find a seat in the back.  I sat in the very last row with Ike in my arms crying...trying to explain that I was not sad...not in the way he was thinking.

It feels so good to be in the land of the living again, even if it means that I will cry each and every Sunday.  It is okay.  Just to feel again...it is coming back.  With this grief that is leaving my body, joy will replace it.  I am wretched...I am...but He is persistently, patiently and lovingly willing to change me.  May I never turn back, I will stumble, but may I never turn back.

No comments:

Post a Comment